Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Organic: When is it worth it?

** I want to apologize for the lack of post yesterday- I caught a bug and used the day to recuperate. **


Love the idea, hate the cost. How do you balance the desire to eat a healthy diet with your budget? As I've slowly transitioned my grocery cart toward more organic and local produce, I've found the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen incredibly helpful. This is a list of produce that is especially heavy in pesticide exposure, or generally lighter. I try to make sure that I buy produce off the Dirty Dozen in organic form, but relax and buy whatever looks better when it's on the Clean Fifteen list. I also generally don't prioritize organics as much if it's a fruit or vegetable where I remove the peel before eating, and (in season) try to buy as much as possible from our farmers' market to support our local economy and to decrease my grocery bill. Seasonal produce (even organics) is almost always cheaper at the farmers' market.

What's on the list? The list changes annually, but for 2014 the Dirty Dozen are:
     * apples
     * strawberries
     * grapes
     * celery
     * peaches
     * spinach
     * bell peppers
     * nectarines (imported)
     * cucumbers
     * cherry tomatoes
     * snap peas (imported)
     * potatoes

And the Clean Fifteen for 2014 are:
     * avocados
     * sweet corn
     * pineapples
     * cabbage
     * sweet peas (frozen)
     * onions
     * asparagus
     * mangoes
     * papayas
     * kiwi
     * eggplant
     * grapefruit
     * cantaloupe
     * cauliflower
     * sweet potatoes

What about non-produce groceries? Because a fair number of environmental toxins are fat soluable, I try to avoid conventional products for meat and dairy, especially fattier cuts or full-fat dairy options. If possible, I'll always buy the local, organic, grass-fed option, even if it means that we have to eat those products in smaller amounts or less often. I'm personally not comfortable with the possibilities from more conventional meat and dairy, and I've been impressed that this option almost always tastes better.

I also prefer free-range eggs, partially based on my comfort with how the animals are treated, and partially because they just taste so much better.

I know everyone has their own budget, but how do you prioritize your food purchases?

No comments:

Post a Comment