Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Packing 101: 311 Toiletries

I remember the time when you could bring whatever size liquids and gels you wanted on a plane (doesn't that make me sound old?). That day is long gone, and the 311 clear bag seems like it's here to stay. As a reminder, you are allowed to bring 3.4 oz. (or less) of any liquids or gels, which must fit into a 1 quart zip-top bag. Each passenger is allowed only one bag, although some types of liquids or gels have exceptions if they are declared (check the TSA website for information on that).


While I am very envious of people who own Goo-Tubes, and reap their collapseable space-saving benefit, I pack almost exclusively with samples and hotel toiletries, which I stock up on any time I stay somewhere with decent products, or when Sephora offers products I like as one of their 3 free samples (you get to chose your samples if you purchase online, which is why all of my makeup purchases happen online). I also generally only buy travel-sized makeup, because I find that is the amount I go through before it passes its expiration date. I save the little bags that come with shirt buttons, and use those for small amounts of medication, cotton swabs, ear plugs, and to contain my bobby pins and jewelry.

My general packing plan:

hair supplies
deodorant (travel sized to save space, although most full sized containers are under 3.4 oz)
cleansing oil (sample sized)
lotion (sample sized from Yuzen)
makeup
toothpaste
toothbrush
ibuprofen
ear plugs
cotton swabs
allergy medication, sunscreen and bug repellant if I'm going somewhere warm


All of these go into my reuseable bag. I've tried using Ziplock brand bags, and they're great for one trip or two, but I prefer not having to use a new one each time. I use a BlueAvocado bag that I recieved in a subscription box- it's spacious and has held up nicely.

 
I use the same hair products every time I travel. (1) Moroccanoil (sample sized)- this helps me get away with using lower quality conditioners, as it protects my hair and keeps it moisturized. (2) Hairties and bobby pins, contained. (3) Reusable container for conditioner (I would use hotel samples, but we run through more conditioner than shampoo). (4) Shampoo. (5) Comb, or brush.


 
I like to use basic makeup when I travel to cut down on time spent getting ready in the morning (and all the time, really). (1) Lip and cheek stain (currently using this one, although I slightly prefer Stainiac by the Balm). (2) Eye liner. (3) Eye shadow (ask at Sephora for samples, if not, bring no more than 2 colors). (4) Tinted foundation (I got these sample packs by emailing the company). (5) Eye shadow primer. (6) Tinted lip balm (my new favorite is from Bite). (7) Shadow brush.
 
 
If I'm going to a wedding I'll toss in slightly more dramatic eye liner. (1) Tightline activator by Laura Mercier (it appears this may no longer be necessary with newer versions of the liner). (2) Tightline cake liner (sample sized). (3) Tightline travel brush. I use conditioner to clean my brush after every use to keep it from getting stiff.
 
 
I always try to pack my toiletries bag by putting the largest items in first. This way I know they'll fit.
 
 
After the large items are in, I pack the smaller items into the spaces around them. Using this method, I fit all of the items pictured above and had plenty of space to add in full sized makeup (if I hadn't had the samples), bug repellant, or medication.
 
Do you have any toiletries tips or tricks?



No comments:

Post a Comment