Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Favorite Running Gear: Sports Bras for Busty Runners


I used the fact that I'm top-heavy (D+) to justify not running for a long time. It's not pleasant to be bouncing around, especially when you're tired and achy. That said, I've found a few sports bras that really do the trick and keep movement to a minimum. It's a bit of a process of trial and error, and what works for me may not work for you. I recommend using a website like Bare Necessities to try a variety of styles and sizes- I've had to size up or down, and adjust cup size to find the right fit for each of these styles. A really snug fit in the band is key here- any looseness there and the bra just won't hold you in place.


Shock Absorber Maximum Control Wire-Free Sports Bra

This is my go-to running bra. It's light, it breathes, and there's no padding to add to sweat when it's hot. I have two, both black. I find that there can be a little chafing if I'm really sweaty, but Body Glide takes care of that fairly easily. It's a basic compression sports bra- if you're looking for shaping this probably isn't the bra for you.


Panache Ultimate Maximum Control Sports Bra

This is my alternate running bra. It's comfortable, has a light lining, molded cups, and does a good job minimizing bouncing. There is slightly more movement than in the Shock Absorber bra, but not enough to be remotely uncomfortable. The movement also may be a sizing issue- I had a bit more difficulty finding my correct cup size in this one. I've never had a chafing issue with this bra, but I do find that the padding feels warmer on a hot day.

I've yet to find any other sports bras that I think do quite as good a job, but haven't tried everything. I've been distinctly unimpressed with the selection for more top-heavy women at Victoria's Secret, Target, and Sports Authority. What do you look for in a sports bra? Any suggestions on what's worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment