Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Spinning: A Newbie's Perspective


I mentioned in this post that I was thinking about taking spinning classes to stay in shape this winter. I just started last week, and I have a few general thoughts:

This is a fantastic high-intensity workout BUT it's adjustable. I hadn't been to a spin class since college, and you really do work! A towel and water bottle are absolutely necessary, and I've left each class feeling the awesome fully exhausted tired you can get after a good run. The best part about this is that no one knows what resistance you've set, so if you're exhausted you can dial it back for a little while and give your body time to adjust.

Music really helps. This was my big memory from college, and it's totally true today. The instructors set the whole workout to music and it can really help you find a little extra energy when you're getting tired. It's worth finding an instructor who selects music you like too!

Spin shoes would be useful. I didn't want to invest until I'd tried a few classes, but it'd be really nice to clip into the pedals and have a little more support than my sneakers provide. Anyone have a recommendation for a solid but not too expensive brand?

This is a really satisfying morning workout. Something about the music and the energy from the other riders really helped wake me up and set me off for a good day.

It's worth it to sign up and pay for classes in the winter. I don't like to feel like I've wasted money, and paying for a class that I don't attend definitely feels like wasted money. So, the gym fee gets me to keep going, and the classes change enough from session to session that I don't get bored. And if I do, the gym I'm attending also has barre, pilates, yoga, TRX and Crossfit classes.

What is your plan for winter fitness? Have you tried a spin class before?

No comments:

Post a Comment