Thursday, November 6, 2014

Book Review: The Terrible And Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances

 
Title: The Terrible And Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances (links to order here, or through your local bookseller or library)
Author: Matthew Inman

Short Review: Spot on and funny.

Long(er) Review: I've read The Oatmeal on and off for a while now- two summers ago I found the incredibly funny comic the terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances. At the time, my husband was training for to run his first marathon, and I had just gotten into running more than 3 miles at a time. We both thought the comic was hilarious and very apt. After my husband ran the Twin Cities Marathon, we thought it even more so, from the descriptions of runners on the course to the mental gymnastics people go through while running.

We were both pretty excited when this book came out- I bought a copy of it as a surprise, and it went over really well. Some of the content is repeated from the website, but there are additional parts sprinkled in throughout, and the overall book is really nicely put together. Jokes from this book have worked their way into our daily conversation, and I'm still trying to decide where to use the stickers. Maybe on a jersey to run in a Beat the Blerch event?

If you know anyone who runs, or who lives with someone who runs, this would make a fantastic holiday present (and if you're wondering how I reconcile this with my desire not to give clutter, this is your warning that while I clean my bookshelves regularly, I don't consider books clutter at all).

*All opinions in this review are my own. I was not compensated for providing my opinions or provided with this book to review. *

No comments:

Post a Comment