Friday, November 7, 2014

Winter Workouts


I've really enjoyed running this year, but am having a harder time getting outside now that it's getting cold and dark by the time I get home. I switched to biking for the past few weeks, but anything below 40 degrees and I can't handle the wind.

This has all gotten me thinking about what I'm going to do to stay in shape over the winter. I've tried just going to the gym, but I get bored without something to distract me (tv and reading materials aren't enough). I also work harder if I have an instructor to push me on what to do next (I'm very good at sitting out the hard part of exercise DVDs).


In the past, I've gone rollerblading at an indoor rink, which was fantastic exercise and a lot of fun when they played good music. Unfortunately, it depends on finding a good spot, and our local stadium where it happens was torn down to build a new one. BUT, as of today, the new stadium should be open for skating in 725 days!

image from Star Tribune

Last winter I took barre classes, which were also great exercise, but more expensive. It's a workout based on ballet classes, but with more focus on the exercise aspect than the dance one. I really liked these for toning, but didn't feel like I got as much of a cardio workout as I'd like, and I'd rather integrate both into one bout of exercise. I'd love to find a studio that offers them in combination with other classes, but haven't seen one in my area.

image from Bloomberg News
 
I haven't been to spinning class since college, but am considering signing up for a gym membership where they offer some. Back in college I loved what a great cardio workout it was, and how the instructors targeted all sorts of muscles while keeping it fun with up-tempo music.

image from Visit Cook County

My husband and I have also talked about trying cross-country skiing, but I'm not sure I'm willing to commit to the cost of supplies and time outside. Same goes for ice skating- it's a fun way to get outside, but I dislike cold enough that it's not ideal for a regular activity.

What do you do to stay fit during the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment