Thursday, September 25, 2014

Packing 101: Carry-On Only


Like I mentioned previously, I travel almost exclusively carry-on only. I always pack in my hard-sided, 4-wheeled rolling suitcase. I got mine in Japan, but similar ones are available here. I highly recommend this type of suitcase if you're traveling somewhere with good sidewalks, but it's not the best for carrying if you have a lot of stairs or cobblestones. For that, I'd recommend something with a good shoulder strap. Either way, I suggest a color other than black or gray, so that it's easier to spot if you do need to check it.


I've seen many packing formulas around the web, but here is mine:

I pack a new outfit for each day under 1 week, but try to reuse articles of clothing if I can. I prioritize thinner layering pieces over bulky sweaters and jackets- it provides more options, and takes less space to pack. A sample packing list for a long weekend at a conference would look something like this (pictured above from left to right and top to bottom):

3 dresses (or if the weather is cold, 1 pair of pants, 3 shirts, 3 pairs of socks)
undergarments (not pictured)
2 cardigans
2 pairs pjs
2 exercise outfits (top, shorts, sports bra, running socks)
1 t-shirt (for the return flight)
1 pair running shoes
1 pair flat shoes (for walking)
toiletries (packed in my personal item until I clear security)
fabric bags for shoes, and another (large) for dirty laundry


I also wear jeans, a t-shirt, my jacket, and another pair of flat shoes onto the plane. If I have space and think they might be useful, I'll throw in a pair of heels, but that's fairly unlikely (I like to walk a LOT in new places).
 

How am I able to manage with so few clothes?

* Make a color story. All of the items that I bring should work together. The easiest way I know to do this is to chose outfits that match black or brown, not both. It also helps that my Pinterest boards have helped me narrow down the colors in my wardrobe to a few core themes: I'm much less likely to grab things that can't go together now.

* Check the weather. Don't bring a swimsuit or a jacket if it won't be necessary. Allow for a little variance from the predictions, but it'll give you a good idea of what you'll need generally.


* Know your activities in advance. At least have a general idea. No need to bring a formal dress on a hiking trip, or a swimsuit to a business conference. If a new opportunity arises, buy what you need there.


* Bring only what you love. We all love the idea of variety, but honestly pick up the same outfits over and over. Traveling won't be any different, so I try to only bring one alternate option for the whole trip, and pack outfits for each day that I'm excited to wear (like these dresses, which I've worn in at least 6 countries).


* Be realistic. Much as I love how heels would make basically any outfit look fancier, I know my traveling habits, and I'll be doing too much walking for them to be practical. I'd rather spend the space on a second pair of flats, and know that I'll actually use what I bring. Same with exercise- if you know you won't have time to fit in a run (or whatever you do), don't bring the supplies. They'll only take up space and make you feel guilty (and who needs that on vacation?).

* Pack strategically. Stuff socks and other small garments into shoes to help them hold their shape, and to save space. Roll items to place between the ridges your handle makes. Place items you'll need immediately toward the top of the suitcase, and heavy items toward the wheels. Pack your shoes toe to heel (like they come in a box) for the smallest footprint.

What are your packing tips and tricks? What do you leave behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment