Thursday, October 2, 2014

Favorite Running Gear: Shoes

 
Nothing I say here can replace the advice of a proper shoe fitting at a running store. If you happen to have similar feet to mine (neutral alignment, very slight pronation, preferring moderate stability), this may be helpful. If not, the idea of rotating shoes is something that should apply to everyone. Just like your clothing, shoes will wear out faster if you wear the same pair on every run. Additionally, having to similar but not identical shoes can help give your body a rest if either pair is working part of your body too hard (I find that wearing the same shoes on every run makes my knees hurt, but that it mostly goes away if I switch off pairs).


I've been using the ASICS GT series ever since I started running. I'm currently running in the ASICS GT 2000-2, which I've had since mid-summer. I like that they're nice and light, fairly fitted, I can feel the surface under my feet, but I also have cushioning. I find that each pair holds up about 6-10 months, depending on how often I'm running. They usually offer a variety of colors, which is nice. These are my go-to shoe for longer runs.


My alternate shoes are the Saucony Ride 7. I've been running in these since late spring. They're also fairly light, with slightly more cushioning, and a slightly looser fit than the ASICs. I've found that I prefer the slightly more fitted feel, but these are still nice shoes and I'm comfortable running 3-4 miles in them. I LOVE the laces on these- they're elastacized, and they never seem to come untied mid-run. When the shoes finally give out, I absolutely plan on reusing the laces in whatever replaces them.


One note I'd like to make, especially if you run alone: please carry an id, preferably one that includes emergency contact information. I know a regular runner who had a surprise heart attack while out on a solo run. He didn't have any contact information with him, and was a John Doe in the hospital for more than a day before his friends and family located him. Don't put yourself or your loved ones though that. I always carry my phone, id or my Gone For A Run pouch on my shoe (the back of the pouch includes an area for emergency contact information, and any medical alerts). There are plenty of other options out there- find one that works for you, but please don't run without some form of contact information.

** I was not compensated for any of these reviews, and all opinions are my own. **

No comments:

Post a Comment