Monday, October 27, 2014

Cooking Challenge: Week 1 Recipes


Even those of us who love cooking can end up in a food rut. I managed to shake the "lets just order in" urge, and have been cooking at home more regularly for the last month, but I feel like I'm repeating the easy options too often. In the past I've set a challenge of cooking 3 recipes from every cookbook I own (great way to thin out the collection), and tried Whole30 (great way to get in the habit of eating more vegetables, but I got tired of eating so much protein) to break out of this habit, but I'm wanting to try something slightly different.

I decided last week that I'd set myself a new challenge: I am going to cook my way through my recipes folder. You know, the one where you store all the delicious looking recipes from magazines? Mine has been accumulating options for 10+ years, and I haven't been very good about working through them. So, I'm setting myself the challenge of 3 recipes from the folder per week, until they're finished. Then I may give up, or I may work my way over to the cookbooks.

Up this week:

Recipe 1: Chicken Larb, from Cooking Light January 2011
Recipe 2: Southwest Shrimp & Corn Chowder, from Cooking Light April 2009
Recipe 3: Mediterranean-Style Poached Eggs, from Cooking Light April 2004

AND, because this happens to be a week where I'm meeting a friend to cook a bunch of recipes for the freezer, I will also be trying Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup and the pumpkin bread recipe from the Kathleen's Bake Shop Cookbook (which is a fabulous cookbook if you're looking for good baking recipes).

What do you do to shake yourself out of a cooking rut? What's your favorite recipe you wished you'd tried sooner? Anyone want to help me eat the embarrassing amount of chocolate desserts I've stockpiled recipes for?

No comments:

Post a Comment