Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Decluttering: Helpful Questions


Yesterday I had a dentist's appointment, and I decided to work from a coffee shop for the rest of the afternoon. On my way to my brownie and latte, I drove past the local lake and took a minute to walk through the leaves in the sun. It felt amazing to take that time to just appreciate how beautiful it was outside. I highly recommend it, if you get a chance while the weather is beautiful and the scenery is great. It's the simple things that make life good.

Decluttering and simplifying are ongoing processes for me. I love to give and recieve presents, but that means that I regularly have to evaluate my belongings. Here are some questions I've found especially helpful in deciding whether or not to keep an item:

Would I buy it if I saw it in the store today?

Do I use this regularly? If not, why not?

If broken, is it worth the time and money to fix it?

If I took it to be tailored, would I love it? Or would it still only be ok?

Is it beautiful or useful?

Is it worth the physical and mental space that it takes up?

Do I have a positive or negative association with it?

Have I found myself considering getting rid of it before?

Is there someone specific who would enjoy it more than I do?

Is it worn out?

Am I keeping this out of obligation?

Do I need multiples of this item?

Bonus questions for deciding whether or not to buy something:

Would I buy this at full price?

Am I flatted by the cut AND the fabric AND the color?

Is it comfortable?

Do I really need to replace XYZ, or do I have something else that can serve the same purpose?

If I wait a week, will I still remember wanting this?

Is it a 10 out of 10? Or is it only ok?


Have you taken time to enjoy where you live lately? What do you consider when you declutter?

No comments:

Post a Comment