Friday, October 24, 2014

Capsule Wardrobe: The Extras

I know you're thinking, surely that can't be all that you have in your closet. You're right. I have lots of other things that I prefer not to live without.


clockwise from top left: Naturalizer Bohemia / Carina heels (not available online) / Clarks Plaza Beagle Riding Boot / Pikolinos sandals (similar)

Shoes. I have too many shoes. I wear the same ones repeatedly, but have a hard time getting rid of any of the others, largely because they're well-made, expensive and fit well. BUT I don't wear them. I wear the ones I really love, and replace those when they wear out. I've set a goal for myself of not buying any new heels until I've started to work down the size of my collection. My flats are at a reasonable level, and I'm ok with replacing those as needed.


clockwise from top left: Martin & Osa blazer (no longer for sale) / Nike Element Shield Full-Zip jacket / Talbots Refined Melton Coat / Talbots Trench (similar from Boden)

Jackets. I live in a seriously varied climate, so I have seriously varied jacket options. I absolutely adore my wool blazer and trench coat- it took me a long time to invest in either of them, but I wear them constantly. My trench is waterproof, which makes it an ideal early spring and late fall jacket. I'm actually in the market for a new winter coat, and the Talbots Refined Melton Coat is appealing because of the high collar and bright color. I only wish it had a Thinsulate lining or a higher wool content to the fabric.

 

Scarves. Again with the varied climate, so I have a variety. I wear the lighter options most often, but the heavier (especially the wool and cashmere) get serious use mid-winter. I've just recently purchased my first infinity scarf, which I'm loving for work. They just seem super polished.

Unmentionables. Are unmentionable, but I do have a rotation (it's better for them and for you). As mentioned before, I highly recommend Bare Necessities for purchasing these- they have a fantastic selection and very broad range of sizes.

Pajamas. Again, I have a rotation. I usually buy a pair of cotton pajama pants from Target, and use a t-shirt from an event or group that I have a connection to.



Purses. I went through my purses and really sorted them about six months ago. I prefer leather for its durability, but do not like to carry it during the summer. I keep 2 dressy options, 1 casual winter bag, 1 casual summer bag, 1 winter work bag, and 1 summer work bag. I could probably get rid of the second dressy option and the casual bags (I tend to use the work bags for pretty much everything), but I enjoy the variety and they fit easily in the space allotted.

 

Jewelry. I need to work though my jewelry and get rid of what I don't wear. I used to wear necklaces regularly but really haven't for the last few years. I do enjoy them for a visual change for some of the outfits I wear more often though. The ring and earrings pictured above are absolute staples of my wardrobe. I love the little touches of whimsy and color that they add. I highly recommend Etsy for jewelry purchases- everything I've found has been interesting, unique and well-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment