Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Recipe: Easy Pasta Al'Amatriciana


Back in 2012, my husband and I went on a much needed vacation in Sicily. We loved the detailed architecture, copious gelato, active volcano, and delicious wine. One thing I really took away from the trip was how delicious simple pasta dishes could be. I ate bucatini al'amatriciana most nights for dinner, and it was never disappointing. It's a slightly spicy, bacon-y, tomato-based pasta dish. This is my take on the dish, using ingredients I've found easily available in the U.S:

1/2 package bacon (sugar and nitrate/nitrite free if you can find it, because it tastes WAY better)
garlic (to taste)
crushed red pepper (to taste)
1 onion, chopped
4-6 tomatoes, chopped (home-grown taste best)
1 lb. dry pasta (bucatini if you can find it, but I usually use rotini)

Put water on to cook your pasta according to package directions.

Chop the bacon into bite sized pieces. Place in a cold dutch oven, and bring the heat up slowly to medium. Cook until a fair bit of fat has rendered, and the bacon is cooked but not super crisp.

Add the garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring regularly about 30 seconds.

Add the onion, and saute until transluscent. Add tomatoes, stir well. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Mix cooked pasta in, and serve with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment