Monday, May 13, 2013

Cosmetics: Where do I start?

Other than food, the items I buy and replace most often are cosmetics and toiletries. This, combined with the fact that the switch to organic and more natural products in this area doesn't necessarily add much in terms of cost, is why it seems like a great place to focus some energy on finding better products.

I started doing this last year, when we ran out of conditioner. We'd previously used Bed Head Self Absorbed Shampoo and Conditioner for about 4 years (my husband has been using it for even longer). I should start by saying that we think they're great products, and have no issues with performance. But, as I did research on what I could do to be more eco- and health-friendly, I began to come across more and more references and reasons to avoid pthalates, phosphates, and sodium laurel sulfate (SLS). This research led me to the Skin Deep Database, which is a website that provides scorecards on cosmetics and personal care products. The Database ranks my beloved Bed Head products as 5 and 6- moderate toxicity. Much as I love them, I'm not really comfortable with that.

* Note: I am not a scientist or doctor, and I'm not saying that the research is conclusive. I'm just saying that I'd personally rather not take the chances with environmental damage and possible health issues.


So I decided that when I ran out of each product, I'd start trying more natural alternatives. So far, we've tried Nature's Gate (fine, but not amazing), Guud (smells amazing in bottle, but a little overwhelming once out), Desert Essence (smells amazing, but the texture is a bit gritty), and Kiss My Face (our current default, but neither of us loves it). I have a bottle of Acure conditioner in the wings to try out once our current bottle is used up. I have to say though, none of the products have truly wowed me.

I'm feeling the same way about cosmetics. I love the Laura Mercier products I use (I got hooked when I was looking for wedding makeup), but none of them score especially well on Skin Deep either. So far, I'm not as far into my search for a replacement, and I've decided to go a different route: I'm subscribed to Yuzen and GoodeBox. These are two "sample boxes" where I've subscribed (for a fee) to receive samples of products that align with their mission (in the case of Yuzen, adding a zen moment to my day, and for GoodeBox, natural and organic cosmetics and toiletries). I'm fairly new to the game, but really enjoying the process of getting the boxes and trying new products. To me, the ability to sample without buying a whole bottle, and with someone curating the choices, is completely worth the cost.

What do you think of natural and organic cosmetics and toiletries? Do your recommend any brands?

No comments:

Post a Comment