Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Why I don't use Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I absolutely love my homemade laundry detergent. I think it cleans better, it keeps my laundry machine cleaner, and I like that it doesn't leave any smell behind.

Based on that great experience, I started searching for other home cleaning products I could make. The one that seemed most similar was a homemade dishwasher detergent. We've been using the Cascade pods for 3 years and love them- they get everything off and leave glasses completely clear. I didn't feel like they needed replacing, but thought I'd try for fun, and if it made for a cheaper and more eco-friendly option, even better.

The recipe I used included borax, washing soda, Lemi-Shine, and salt (I'm not linking to the recipe because it didn't work for me).

I have to say, I don't know if the Lemi-Shine we got had turned or was defective, but it smelled awful. Almost rancid. And since it was the only ingredient with a smell, the whole mix reeked. Didn't seem great, but with so many good reviews online I figured it must work and maybe we could get past the smell?

I loaded the washer with 1 Tbsp of the detergent, filled the rinse container with white vinegar, and was ready to be super impressed.

It was a significant letdown. The glasses were cloudy after just once wash. The dishes were mostly clean, but  there was still residue. Maybe there's a better recipe out there, but for now we're sticking with our non-stinky, effective Cascade pods.

No comments:

Post a Comment