Monday, August 27, 2012

Where Do I Start?

Blogs without context are both boring and annoying, so it seems like the best place to start is to give you some context on me:

I'm a female in my late 20s. I'm newly married and also a newly-minted J.D. I am still searching for the right law firm for me. I live and work in an urban area. We have very distinct seasons here (and all four of them). I like to buy the cheapest comparable option, but I'm not sure how I want to weigh what is comparable. I own a home in a multi-unit building. I have two cats, a niece and a nephew, and no children of my own. My husband and I each drive our own cars, have a 20 minute or less walking commute, and try to walk or bike instead of driving when there is an option to do so. I love the feeling of exercising regularly, but have to talk myself into it each time.

I value socializing, living a comfortable life, using my money to get the most bang for my buck, entertaining well, and being environmentally friendly. I don't think it's worth it to make a major fiscal or environmental change that requires large amounts of effort with minimal payoff. The opposite is true as well- if I can make a minor change with a large payoff, it seems like a no-brainer. I do think that minuscule changes can affect the negative effect we (the human race) have had on the world, given enough time or enough people making that change.

I plan on using this blog to explore what I can do using reasonable efforts to live a more sustainable life while balancing work and social constraints, and document the pitfalls and successes along the way. If you have positive suggestions for what I can change, I would much appreciate the input!

No comments:

Post a Comment